Sunday, June 04, 2006

Farm News 06-04-06

Sunday morning, after chores, 65°


Turkeys

Tuesday I sold Blue, my only remaining turkey hen. Blue is a nice turkey, friendly and with a sober disposition, but I have decided to give up on turkeys. The problem is coyotes, Canis Latrans. Coyotes know all about turkeys: they know the scent, they recognize the shape of a turkey, and they like to eat them. Coyotes ate Christmas and Thanksgiving, my first two turkeys, and they ate Blue's sisters, Blanche and Little Blue.

Guy Noir, the tom turkey, is one of the most annoying animals I have ever kept and he is sterile, making him useless for his only function. I hope to put him in the freezer soon, ending the turkey flock.

Some Days

Some days the words won't move from fingertips to screen. This has been a week of those days. The bunnies are doing fine, the baby goats are playing in the pasture, the ducks are growing. More news next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home