Sunday, February 03, 2008

Farm News 01-13-08

Sunday morning, after chores, 28°

Barn News

Keeping ducks is a short path to insanity. Ducks quickly manage to convince you that they are the dumbest creatures on earth. The ducks living in the barn refused to go into the barn tonight, because Weasel was there. Weasel has been sleeping in the barn, less than fifteen feet from where the ducks sleep, for the past three months, at least. She never chases ducks or annoys them in any way. But, tonight, they decided it was too dangerous to go in if Weasel was already there. Arghh!

Bright Things in the Sky

I want to see an Iridium flare, the reflection off the solar panels of an Iridium satellite, sometimes visible during daylight. On January 16, at 7:41 am, 0.6 km east of Oskaloosa, it might be possible to see one. I'm usually milking the ducks at that time, but maybe I'll remember to go look. There should be another the next morning at 7:35 am in the same location.

The International Space Station [ISS] will be visible from here around 6:00 am every morning from January 14th to 18th, and twice on January 19. On the 19th it will be visible at 5:23 and again at 6:55, which gives you an idea as to how fast that thing is traveling around the planet.

If you live in Wichita, Kansas, you might be able to see the ISS in the West North West [WNW] at 5:23 am and 6:55 am on January 19th . Out of bed early, Wichitans! On January 16th you might see an Iridium flare 9.5 km east of the center of Wichita at 5:53 am.

My youngest daughter is working on the SORCE satellite, which just went up. Actually, she works on the data from the satellite, not the satellite itself. My 8 month old grandson would be very upset if his mommy went to space and left him behind. SORCE is sort of a weather satellite for the sun. The prediction is for very high temperatures.

Report from Cambodia

Our Cambodian correspondent is reluctant to submit anything for publication because I made a few changes in his reports to make them more interesting. His daughter, who is twelve, reads Farm News, and he is afraid I will give her the wrong idea about his life in Cambodia. He can't seem to get it into his thick skull that his daughter is a very bright girl, generally able to sort fact from fiction, and, at her age, not all that interested in the sordid stuff, anyway. Of course, I have to remind myself that I occasionally feel the same way about my youngest daughter, who is now 33 and a mother. A note to all daughters of the world: men like to embellish the truth, and I usually do.

He is hoping that his daughter will spend part of the summer with him. Why, I wonder, does he think any intelligent twelve year old would want to spend part of the summer in the tropics? She will want to stay there only if he offers her the opportunity to experience things she couldn't find in the USA, and my embellishments of his reports might make it seem as if such opportunities might exist there.

My little girl now knows, or suspects, that I once visited various Mexican whorehouses. She still trusts me enough to allow me to tickle my grandson, which is what counts, really. Of course, my little girl is 33, not 12, and that might make a difference. Perhaps I should conduct a poll.

Daughters of men, would you love your father less if you knew he once visited a Mexican whorehouse? On second thought, don't answer that question. Oh, what the hell, go ahead and answer. I'll print your responses, without your names, and I won't change them.

Anyway, back to Cambodia, where our intrepid correspondent writes:
OK, ISS stands for international space station, but I find it quite annoying when abbreviations are used with no prior reference. If this is annoying to you, please feel free to tell me off. Lately, it seems everyone is doing it.

I'm in Kampot. Gonna catch a taxi back to Snookie in19 minutes. Gotta go.


Poor Raymond, everyone is telling him off, while he sits around drinking coffee with fellow ex-pats in a tropical paradise. Snookie is probably Sihanoukville. Kampot rates an entry in Wikipedia.

He's right about the ISS. I wrote out International Space Station the first time I mentioned it the week before, but not last week.

Telepopmusik

Music that grabs me, especially when I've been drinking. I wonder if it would have grabbed me in 1957, in Paris, if it followed Whole Lot of Shakin' Goin' On. I drank a lot then. Good pop music generally sounds like it is something for which one has been waiting.

Heroin, done by Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground, grabbed me in 1968. I first heard it in Sunshine House, where there is now a KFC franchise. About an hour earlier I had taken a tablet of what was called Orange Sunshine, some excellent LSD. The music completely satisfied any interest I had in feeling like Jesus's son. There are at least three recordings of Lou Reed doing Heroin but the first is the best, I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home