Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Massive Learning Attack

At about age 25 we undergo a process called myelization, during which we grow a protective layer around our neural dendrites. After that, they say, learning is achieved by pruning existing neural connections, not growing new ones. So, I figure that having a stroke, a process that achieves rapid pruning of a bunch of neural connections, could be considered as a massive learning attack, or MLA.
MLA's are tricky rascals. This last one did something to me, but I can't put my finger on exactly what has changed. I think there might be some small gross motor impairment of some sort, but I've always been clumsy. I may be lazier, but I've always been lazy.
It has given me the opportunity to spend a bit of time with some interesting new physicians, a Neurologist and a Vascular Surgeon. Physicians and dairy farmers are generally nuts, I think. Who wants to work that hard, that long, and that carefully? These two guys, the Neurologist and the Vascular Surgeon, seemed to be very bright, very competent physicians, which is generally the kind of people you want whether dealing with MLA or hemorrhoids.
As has been my experience throughout this excursion into the world of MLA patient, the new physicians do not have patient information systems capable of communicating with other systems. Mainframe mindset. Why do all those physicians and staff members put up with non-communicating systems? I might be experiencing a mild stroke, but I am not so vegetative I would put up with their systems.
I have started reading My Stroke of Insight by Jill Bolte Taylor, Ph.D., a neurophysiologist who had a massive stroke. I've seen her presentation on the Ted Talks, and was impressed at the time.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home