Sunday, April 29, 2007

Farm News 04-29-07

Sunday morning, after chores

Goslings
Two goslings hatched under Bebe Friday night. She has two more eggs which hadn't hatched yet by Saturday evening. I knew Bebe had babies when she attacked me Saturday morning as I started chores.

Sexual Orientation and Wiener Dogs
The nice young woman who is married to the young man who lived next door when he was in high school now works in the veterinarian's office. She and her nice young husband gave Weasel to me, Weasel formerly being the dog of the nice young man's deceased grandfather. Well, that nice young woman was so tasteless as to list, on the official Veterinarian's records, that Weasel was a wiener dog mix. Nonsense! Weasel is a Labrador Low Rider, an extremely rare breed known for being bilingual.

Anyway, thinking about wiener dogs led me to wonder about the Freudian connotations of lesbian couples owning wiener dogs. I know a lesbian couple who own two wiener dogs named Sigmund and Siglinda. How Freudian is that? They are, by the way, both bitches (Sigmund and Siglinda, not the lesbians). They (the lesbians, not the dogs) remind me of the first openly lesbian couple I met.

I was but a lad in high school, living in the early 1950's America, and wondering why it seemed that everyone else was crazy. I tried to solve this problem, the one of everyone else seeming crazy, by consuming lots of beer. One evening these two old women, old to me, perhaps, but only in their 50's, came bouncing into the bar where I was consuming beer.After they had been there a bit one of them crooked a finger at me, beckoning me to come over. I did, they asked me to join them, and then bought me a beer. That's enough to turn any half-drunk teenage boy into an admirer.

It wasn't until I had known them several months that they mentioned that they were lesbians. That was extremely interesting information because, prior to that, Lucille had related many stories and shown pictures of the days when she was a high-priced hooker. Sometime prior to 1920 her first client hired her to accompany him on a trip to North Africa. She had a wonderful time and showed us a picture of herself standing with a pleasant appearing portly older gentleman in front of a pyramid. Another client took her on an around the world cruise and, at the end of the voyage, presented her with the deed to the small cottage in which she had been living. After all that, an announcement of homosexuality was not shocking in the least.

Sandra, her partner, did not particularly approve of Lucille's penchant for educating teenage males, but was gracious enough to not be unpleasant about it. Lucille never offered me sex, of course, but she told me how a young man should behave toward any woman kind enough to do so. They fed me several times, teaching me that proper dinner conversation was more important than using the proper fork. Lucille taught me how to sit in a chair, stand, walk across a room, and pour a glass of wine.

In the 1950's lesbians were not recognized by the general population as possibly decent people. I don't think I had ever come across the word 'lesbian' at that time, and Lucille never used it. She simply told me that she and Sandra were lovers. That seemed alright to me, because I really wanted to learn about being a lover. Today I recognize the greatness of spirit they had which allowed them to be open about their relationship.

They were a fine pair of ladies, but they were not the ones who own Sigmund and Siglinda. The owners of the wiener dogs are contemporary lesbians, not nearly as romantic to me now as were Lucille and Sandra, but very nice ladies. I asked them once if Sigmund was named for Freud. They said that both dogs were named for Freud, Sigmund because that was Freud's name, and Siglinda because Freud was a cross dresser. I think those two women just need a good man to straighten them out.

Existential Crises
Do as many young people today feel as alienated as many of us did fifty years ago? It seems like a far smaller segment of the populace now falls into what we called existential crises, those periods when life seems pointless. It is pointless, of course, but in my day we used to despair over that and call it a problem. Why doesn't it appear as a problem to young people today?

Colin Wilson wrote The Outsider, an excellent book about existential crises and such. I have recommended it to several young people who were caught in the depths of despair and emptiness. It doesn't offer any solutions (now I now there aren't any) but it does show that the situation isn't new or unusual. Sort of like when I first saw the film Rebel Without a Cause. Up till then I thought I was the only one who knew everyone else was crazy.

To subscribe, unsubscribe, contribute stories, complain or send a gift subscription, send an email to FarmNews@GeezerNet.com . The editor reserves the right to steal ideas submitted, rewrite submissions, and sign false names to them whenever it strikes his fancy to do so. Farm News is now a blog at idfafarmnews.blogspot.com



Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home