Sunday, October 15, 2006

Farm News 10-15-06

Sunday morning, after chores

The Flint Hills

In the evenings I would sit with my grandfather on the front porch of his house looking out across the Fall River valley. He would sit in the rocker and I would sit in the swing. One evening, during a hail storm, we were sitting on the porch when two young raccoons dashed up out of the hail and joined us. My grandfather continued rocking slightly in his chair, and one young raccoon hid under his chair, while the other hid under the swing in which I was sitting. The entire universe stopped for a few moments, I don't know how long, until I finally moved, or did something, and frightened the raccoons away.

First Freeze

We had our first freeze Thursday night. The water in the garden hose was frozen but there was no damage.

A Reader Writes

My folks, my brother and I lived in Paris when I was a kid. My brother is much older and had been living abroad for some years before we got there. We had an apartment in, what we later learned, was the "communist" part of paris. Horrors. Anyway, my brother brought home some meat from the local market and had mom fix it for dinner. She asked what kind of meat it was so she would know how to prepare it. He said he would tell her later. So she fixed it, we had it for dinner and pronouced it excellent. My brother then told us it was horse meat. We had it frequently after that.

For quite a few years you could buy frozen horse meat in the US. It was marketed as dog food. I guess they don't do that anymore.


The U.S. House of Representatives, having some spare time on their hands, passed a bill outlawing the interstate shipment of horses for human consumption. Does that mean I can't buy a mule in Missouri if I intend to bring it home and butcher it? Calvin said that cheap horses are selling for $35 at some livestock auctions. That's ridiculous. At that price we could use horses to help allay a lot of protein deficient diets. A healthy three day old Holstein bull calf sells for $150 here. It will take a year of growing and a lot of feed to bring that calf up to the size of the $35 horse, so you would think any horse should be worth at least $150. Horses are worth less than cattle because we hold the horse in such high esteem that we won't eat it.

Peter Mayle, who writes about such things, has high praise for donkey sausage. During the Battle of Beecher's Island, when fifty Army scouts were besieged on an island in the upper Arikaree River, the scouts spoke highly of the quality of the raw backstrips of the pack mules. Most of us would try broiled Zebra ribs without question, though the Zebra, horse, and donkey are all Equines.

'Liberal Bleeding Hearts', who think we shouldn't eat horses because horses are somehow special, fail to arouse any sympathy in me. Many horses are beautiful: the sight of a herd of two year olds running across the pasture is glorious, and new foals are wonderful. I like to talk to horses, smell horses, put their manure on my garden, and laugh at their foal's jokes.I also like to talk to cows, smell cows, put their manure on my garden, laugh at the calves' jokes, and eat their flesh. I assert that there is absolutely no evil involved in eating puppies and dogs, or foals and horses.

To those of you who live in the same congressional district as do I, I suggest to you that, in respect to dogs and horses, Jim Ryun, Republican member from Kansas of the House of Representatives, is a Liberal Bleeding Heart. If you live in this district, please vote for someone else, or write to me and tell me why you won't, please.


Lesbians

Jefferson County, Kansas, is full of lesbians. I did a Google search on 'lesbian female statistics', figuring that would get me some statistics. It didn't, really, except the information that in Massachusetts lesbian couples outnumber gay couples by about 3-2 in marriages. The fact is: there is no shortage of lesbians; the implications are vast.

Of the lesbians I know, most have been married to a male at some time in their lives. When someone says, "Homosexual . . .," people tend to think of the flaming faggots, the guys who wave lavendar hankies in the air. Of the gay men I know, very few fit into that stereotype. Isn't that interesting? I feel fairly certain, or at least hopeful, that I do not differ much from the average American Man. To you, does the word 'homosexual', bring up any female connotations?

I tried a search on 'lesbian population' and didn't get much more. In terms of households, same-sex couples make up about 1% of the US population. Well, within a one mile radius of my home, the percentage of same-sex couple households seems higher. After counting on my fingers for a while, I decided that I can think of fourteen male-female households and two same-sex households within a few miles of where I live, which is a rate of 14%. And, both same-sex households are made up of lesbians. All of which proves that counting on your fingers can lead to an increase in homosexual behavior.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home