Sunday, July 24, 2005

Farm News 07-24-05

Farm News
Sunday morning, after chores, hot

A Reader Writes About Geese

What a hoot! I love your dissertation on geese! I don't have any - and don't want any - but have had a couple of funny times with geese.

We did have two - Gus and Angel (both turned out to be ganders). They were kept in the horse pen after they got big - they were aggressive and my kids were still pretty small.

I started noticing a mark on my fillies' flanks - kind of an abraded mark. Then one of them got infected and I was in a quandary as to what it was or where it came from - till I saw the geese "goose" the horses.

The geese had learned that you could pinch the horses while they had a mouthful of feed and the horses would drop the feed. The horses soon learned to simply feed the geese first - even though we no longer have geese, to this day my mares put their nose in the feed bucket and scoop out a big bunch on the ground before they start eating!

The geese got to be more and more of a bother to the horses. The day I looked out and saw my gorgeous black arab mare running frantically in the pasture with Angel the gander holding on to her tail, flogging her and enjoying the ride as he skied along, I thought "the geese have GOT TO GO!"

They went to a friend with a nice big pond - and no horses!

:)julie

As I said last week, adolescent geese tend to be rowdy. They settle down a bit after five or six years. The geese that live here, by the way, never go to the pond. The goslings like to swim, but the adults never go down to the pond on their own.

Cardiologist

The Cardiologist I see, speaking about rising health care costs, “If you fall from an airplane without a parachute, at what altitude does it become a crisis?” As I have mentioned before, he is prone to Delphic Utterances.

I didn't manage to write anything this week. I'll start working on next week.


E-mail Subscribers: To subscribe, unsubscribe, contribute stories, complain or send a gift subscription, send an email to FarmNews@GeezerNet.com . The editor reserves the right to steal ideas submitted, rewrite submissions, and sign false names to them whenever it strikes his fancy to do so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home